2021 Topic 2: A Pocketful of Frescos
Colour-play fun from Nikki today. It can be a real challenge to stick to a 2-colour combo, and Nikki has used light and dark to great effect in this gorgeous pocketed project. Plus those little pops of white really allow the colours to contrast beautifully too!
Hi everyone, Nikki here today from Addicted to Art, with a pocket mini book using the lovely new Fresco's released last week!
It seems every time time I post here I say that 'I love paint!'. I have a lot of paint, but you can never say no to new colours and these greens are so lovely. I decided to showcase some of them in this little book using a binding / folding method I hadn't seen before - the 'Blizzard fold'.
Please take a peek at the short video - it is so much easy to show a book on video than on photos. It also shows how the blizzard fold looks - creating pockets just by folding the paper. There are loads of videos on YouTube of how to do this so do check them out - search for 'Blizzard Fold'.
I worked with some of the new green paints - Verdigris, Mouse Ears, Peppermint and Forest. For contrast I also use Peachy Keen and Scottish Salmon.
I started with my gelli plate - creating random prints using my chosen green colours. Didn't get this photo until I had chopped into a lot of them You can probably see I have used a few stencil plus the stamp sets I have used for focal points in the project. These are two of the new Scrapcosy sets - ESC22 and ESC23.
I also went a little bolder and squidged my card into a mix of paints directly on the gelli plate.
I stamped and fussy cut lots of images on the greens, some of the pinky/reds and also on white card. Each panel / insert (including front and back) was started with either a collage of the gelli prints or a whole piece. As my prints were on copy paper I adhered them to thicker card.
Here is one of the collaged backgrounds - lots of bits of gelli prints combined. I added a little stamping where I felt my backgrounds needed a little more interest.
The background here is a ghost print where I had used one the flowers to stamp on my gelli plate - love how this is subtle enough but coordinates with the bolder fussy cut red flower.
This is one of the bolder backgrounds. I also stamped on top with one of the flowers in a Distress Oxide - I spritzed and blotted it lightly - so again a subtle effect in the background.
Having made my little book I am thinking these little panels would make great cards for people at the moment - so I might have to make a few more! Make some gelli prints - chop them up, stamp some images - do some fussy cutting and see what you come up with. A great project when you only get time to dip in and out like I often do!