Embroidering the flowers was always going to be the most time consuming part of the project, especially since I haven't done any embroidery before! To keep costs low since I'm not sure how much embroidery I'll do in the future, I bought a cheap pack of embroidery threads in a large range of colours from Amazon. I did a quick search for instructional videos of basic embroidery stitches on YouTube and with my iPad at hand, got comfy in front of the TV and made a start on filling in the flowers and leaves.
Deciding which sentimental items to place inside was the trickiest part of the project. There's so many ways you could do this, but in the end I decided on the same design for each section so that the focus of the eye was on the objects themselves. I cut out four pieces of card (4x3 inches) and used a corner punch to give them a decorative edge. I also printed a range of photos, of Mum throughout her life, on my home printer. Finally I selected two PaperArtsy Fresco Finish Acrylics (Venice Blue and Steel Grey) to provide some background colour for the card and my trusty fountain pen to hand letter the text.
I decided to use my gel plate to apply the colour to the card, as this would give a more grungy finish. I started by applying the PaperArtsy Fresco Finish Acrylic in Venice Blue.