To start off I gathered together the supplies I wanted to use. Kay Carley's flower designs were perfect as there were flowers of all different shapes and sizes which would add variety to the finished project. I selected two of Kay's newest sets, EKC58 and EKC59, and two of Kay's older sets, EKC15 and EKC20.
The first step was to make the flowers for the hoop. Initially I thought I would make a selection of paper and material flowers, however, I didn't think that the cotton material I was going to use was stiff enough to hold the flower shape once I got to the stage of assembling the layers. So I chose a heavy weight piece of watercolour paper and started off by stamping out a selection of the different flowers in Distress Oxide. I then squirted a small blob of each paint colour onto my craft mat and added a little water using my paint brush, before colouring the flowers. It's important that you don't add too much water on this step or you will start shifting the ink as it isn't water resistant, but as you can see in the image below, with care and a light hand, the stamped image softens slightly but is still clearly defined.
Before assembling everything together, I needed to prepare the embroidery hoop. As I wasn't sure how much of the hoop would show through the flowers, I decided to wrap the outer hoop with some wool and ribbon to add a pretty finish to the outside of the hoop.
Wishing you a creative, happy week.