Hi, Jo here again with another idea for you to try using the great PaperArtsy products. I've had the idea of making some 3D tulips for a little while and I thought I'd give it a go with the lovely Chatsworth paper.
I started off with a little metal flowerpot and gave it a watered down coat of Nougat. I then started adding layers (in this order) of Toad Hall, Seaweed, Chutney and Tikka with Cut-n-Dry foam. I wanted a very shabby weathered look so didn't try to cover each layer with the next colour. Finally I went back over with Toad Hall just to tone it all down.
Over the ribbed section I added some ripped bits of book text and then some ripped tissue paper that I'd stamped with the postcard from the Vintage Collection ID01 plate in Watering Can Archival. One this had dried I painted the back in Nougat.
Over the whole pot I dabbed some watered down Nougat to further tone it all down and add to the weathered look.
I then added some rusting powder to the top and bottom of the flowerpot. I actually mixed some of the powder with vinegar (which I use to activate the powder) and dabbed this on in places, it dripped really nicely as you can see to add to the rusted weathered look.
Onto the flowers, using one of the dark Chatworth papers I cut off 4" from three pieces and cut out as many Lin Brown Ecletica tulip flowers as I could from the PaperArtsy die.I got 7, odd numbers are always better than even! I then painted the back of each flower with a mixture of Chutney and Little Black Dress as I would be shaping the flowers and wanted them to be all black. In hindsight I should have painted the card before I cut them out as it was quite messy and fiddly!
On each one I stamped the over the edge collage stamp from the Eclectica Lin Brown 8 plate in Versamark and embossed in Gold for the main flowers and black for the middle petal.
You need to use the reverse painted side of some of the main flowere so they will match up when you glue them together. Because the top petals are quite different its quite easy to match up. I then used Onyxite and Aquamarine Treasure Gold to add subtle shine and dull the embossing slightly. I also used some of the reverse non embossed side as well.
The stalks for each tulip were skewers that I painted in Toad Hall and added some Aquamarine Treasure Gold. Now the fun part of gluing them together. First gently roll the small thin central petal so the top bit folds towards you and glue on each main flower, I used a hot glue gun so the petal was slightly raised from the main petal. Turn the main petal over to the plain non embossed side and glue stick one stem to it. Now put glue either side of the skewer and put the matching petal on top with the embossed side up. Gently press so the sides are sealed. Cut the skewers to varying heights.
In the flower pot I put some flower arranging oasis so that I could poke the skewers into it securely without having to glue. I added the rest of the crumpled up tissue paper on top and then poke your tulip flowers in. I added some papers flowers to cover up the tissue paper (it just didn't look quite right on its own) and then sprayed with some green Glimmer Mist.
Around the text and tissue paper section of the flower pot I added some Frantage embossing powder in Copper, just sprinkled on and gently heated. Wrapped some string around the pot and all done. Hopefully these close ups will give you a better look at the pot and how I shaped the tulips.
I really enjoyed making this and I hope you give it a go, it could be a great present as well as a home decor item.
Until next time. Jo.
A huge thank you to Jo from PaperArtsy HQ. WOW! Jo, this is gorgeous. Such simple shapes but decorated beautifully and to great effect. This would make an awesome Mother's Day gift. I love the embossed areas, I just want to stroke them.