For the challenge, I opted to decorate the journal cover I’ve been using for Darcy’s monthly journal challenge that we’ve enjoyed during the year, and I have used stamps from both of Jo Firth-Young’s new Paperartsy stamp plates 25 and 26 and decorated it with some Prima trinkets and mechanicals My journal is the square 7x7 (approximately) hardcover but there are loads to choose from in the shop
I started by sanding the cover lightly and painting with a couple of coats of PaperArtsy Fresco Paint in Chalk. I stencilled flowers from Jo Firth-Young’s stencil plate PS009 using Fresco Paint Dusty Teal, from Jo’s first Limited Edition set (oops, this has now run out, but there are lots more delicious shades to choose from- you could use the new Turquoise(Limited Edition 2), mixed with Beach Hut or South Pacific). Luckily Chalk is still available in Jo’s new paint set. Once the Dusty Teal was dry, I stamped the flower from JOFY25 in black archival ink over the stencilled flowers.
On tissue paper, I stamped the large flower from JOFY26 twice, and masked and stamped a third time (for the back cover) and just twice for the front cover. I painted the flowers with a mixture of Amethyst and Dolly Mix (from the same sold out Limited Edition set) for the back cover and Amethyst with a tiny amount of Chalk for the front cover, I wanted these to be slightly bolder. Using matte medium I glued these to the covers. For the spine I used the tall spiky flower and coloured it with Limelight/Guacamole and Dolly Mix/Chalk for the flowers.
For the decoration on the front cover I used some of the lacy flower trims to sit behind my Mechanicals and Trinkets. I painted the Mechanicals and Trinkets first with Chalk Fresco (using cut and dry foam) and then mixed a spray of Dusty Teal and water, and spritzed. I sanded them a little, then brushed them with Treasure Gold in White Fire and Aquamarine, polishing them with a cloth to buff them up. I also used two paper Prima flowers. I found some coloured brads in my stash that nearly matched exactly, and added Treasure Gold to them too.
I assembled the painted trinkets on the page, playing with the layout before I glued everything down with a heavy structure gel, and matte medium, to be sure they’d stay put!
I can’t quite decide which is my favourite part of this project, but I am really pleased with how the trinkets have come out. In hindsight, I wouldn’t have used a different green for the leaves of the flower on the spine of the journal, so they matched better with the rest of it, but we learn as we go!
Thanks to Darcy and all at Paperartsy for asking me to take part.