We are very excited for this topic to get going, as behind the scenes there has been idead flying as to how we could do a community challenge for this topic...more on that later... so read on !
This topic invites you to
play with everything mail related. Embellished letters, envelopes and postcards
have been around since the beginning of writing, adding meaning to the words
with images. The practice became an art movement in the 1960’s,
with a focus on interacting with the postal services and their iconography, and
is still active despite the general fall in popularity of 'snail' mail.
More than just sharing news and
information, mail can be conceived as forging links between people and distance. Not to mention the joy of receiving a little
personal art work in the post!
While mail art is commonly agreed to be something you pop in the post, for this topic, we are sharing with you some wider possibilities.
- as explained, typically mail art is a project, either a decorated letter/envelope, or a postcard put through the postal system
- mail art can also be art that incorporates postal imagery as the main theme of a project: postal stamps, post marks, ‘par avion’, etc.
- Postal supplies can be used as substrates: envelope books, altered vintage postcards, postcard binders, old letters, postage stamps etc.
- The wider topic letters and correspondence can be explored, maybe a box to store precious letters, faux postage, personalised stamp sheet retracing your life etc.
- 3 dimensional objects too that link to this theme, mini postboxes made from postal themed papers and more are also an extension of this concept.
- Sign up here to participate.
- Follow @victoriawildingscreates and @paperartsy
- Create a piece of mail art to send to Victoria: a postcard (6x4"), a tag (#8) or a journal page/ spread (no more than 7x10"), making sure to use a PaperArtsy product. Send the item off on it's travels through the post, to arrive with Victoria by1st June 2023 (you will receive further details of how to do this after you register here).
- Upon receipt of your entry, Victoria will send by return a handmade piece of mail art, made just for you
- A challenge winner will receive a mystery box form PaperArtsy to be announced 4th June 2023
A huge thanks from us to Victoria for organising this challenge, and we really hope you are inspired to join in!
From all of us here at team PaperArtsy, happy mail art crafting!