2019 Topic 10: Tiled Patterns
I am not a great fan of purple, it's the rebel crafter in me because it's a fact, according to marketing people, that purple is the most successful brand colour for craft!! pah to that! But I do love it with shades of lemon, reminds me of pretty pansies, such a lovely flower, and so this post is totally OK by me! Plus Jenny could work with the worst colours imaginable and make them look good I am sure! I really enjoyed the tone on tone effects. ~Leandra
Hi everyone, it's Jenny with you today, and I'd like to share with you a Harlequin Journal cover using the ECF05 and ECF06 stamp sets.
When scouring Pinterest to get some inspiration for the Tiled Patterns theme I was drawn to the images of Middle Eastern patterned tiles with their kaleidoscope of colours. With a Tim Holtz die in my stash that could cut the required shapes and stamps at the ready I just needed to choose some coordinating colours to create a striking design.
The cover began with a coat of Chalk Fresco Finish Paint over a text stamped background. Since only hints of the stamping show through I would recommend using the ledger design stamp in set ECF05 for this.
A range of different coloured/textured strips of card were made with some of the stamps from each set, navy, yellow and purple permanent inks, embossing folders and Fresco Finish Paints (Seaglass, Vanilla, Haystack, Lilac, Sour Grapes, Pansy, Venice Blue and Midnight).
I also used the Satin Glaze and Pearl Glaze on a couple of the strips to vary the finishes.
The finished strips were die cut and glued on to both sides of the journal cover using the waste to help space them correctly.
I also found some 'tiles' that had been cut from embossed silver foil covered card which added a touch of bling. A little brown permanent ink was also applied to the edges of the journal to give it a more vintage feel.
Paste and white embossing powder were applied to both sides of the cover through a large 'Thistle' stencil by Cecilia Swatton (available from StencilGirl Products).
To finish the front cover I created a cluster with stamped images from the two sets and a little lace and ribbon. A die cut word painted with Midnight Fresco Finish Paint was added on top and some lilac coloured cotton was layered underneath before the whole cluster was glued in place. A mixture of pages were added inside.
Here are some close ups so you can see the various elements in more detail;
Having completed this project I realised this could be the perfect way to use up those scraps and leftovers of painted card and paper we all keep. I hope you feel inspired to give it a go.