2019 Topic 5: Maps & Plans
Hi everyone, it's Keren Baker with you today, and I'd like to share with you a piece inspired by Courtney Franich's new stamps and show you how I managed to wrestle them into this topic!!
My initial idea after looking at the set focused on the circle and words stamp that reminded me of when people have maps on their walls and they sometimes have pushpins where they've been or where they want to go. We often traced lines on maps (pre sat nav days!) to show the routes we took and so I decided to use that as the design element on my travel plan journal.
Rather than just drawing lines, I decided to draw and then backstitch in them in different coloured thread, giving the impression of different journeys. I really recommend poking the holes first!! My hand was a little sore by the end. I had stamped the image multiple times using grey ink onto PaperArtsy Heavyweight Smoothy card.
I used Courtney's new set ECF06 and I absolutely love the multiple textures on each image.
You can see the finished stitching below. I used an Eileen Hull die (Journal die) to cut out the tops and also the base of the journal in mountboard and hadn't factored in that I should have cut out the shape FIRST so I knew my sewing wouldn't be cut into. Thankfully the fabric wrap on the spine saved the day and secured some of the unravelling stitches!
I wanted to use something metallic and thought that these cheap copper plant tags would do the trick. They're thin enough to trim on my trimmer and also bend beautifully. I was quite tempted to stamp on them too.
I had an old frame lying around and decided to use on the wrap I had created to keep the journal closed. The whole colour scheme was based on some fabric I'd bought shortly after knowing I was going to do this project. The map fabric is so literal, I wanted to do something a little less expected with the images.
Once I'd added the frame to the wrap, it still looked a little 'bare' so I thought some copper wrapping, wire and a few of the cut out stamp elements to create a little 'movement' in the design.
You can see the spine here- I wanted an easy way of hiding the elastic for the signatures inside and didn't want to sew it. Applying sheets of double-sided adhesive worked really well and by putting the adhesive cover piece downwards, I actually cut it well with my rotary cutter. It also adds strength to the journal with constant opening and closing.
Onto the dodgy bits! I didn't have any wide elastic so had to make do with two pieces and the 'was a good idea at the time' of creating a fabric key fob ended up a bit ugly. I think I'll recreate it but in a flatter way and using one of the other leaves.
The details on the stamps are so beautiful. I wanted to add a cluster of elements at the bottom and used copper and blue inks to add colour.
Using stamps fully and partially in different ways creates so many options. I love being able to trim out elements and use them for detail and this stamp set is so great for that. I want to use these stamps next on fabric. I can't wait to see how they will look on a neutral fabric with bold colours!
Thanks for being with me today,