I started with a piece of 5" x 7" piece of grey/white board, this is grey board with a lovely white paper on one side. I love this surface to work on as it will show true paint colours. I also grabbed a selection of washi tapes from my every increasing stash.
I stuck the tapes to my board, securing the ends on the back and pasted a layer of Matt eMedium over the top to make sure they didn't lift when layers of paint are applied.
Next up, my Limited Edition paints.
After blending a layer of Chartreuse and watered down Tikka over my washi tape background, (Leandra has since decided that Tikka probably needs to be re-labelled, it is more semi-opaque than translucent) I used a small stencil brush to stencil some Snowflake through a couple of my stencils. I started with the tall leafy design from PS002 and filled in the gaps with some dots from PS001
I took a baby wipe and some Chartreuse paint to tint the Snowflake paint. I used a baby wipe as this dilutes the paint without having to add water and it is an easy way to blend a layer into the background.
Next, I used Electica Shapes 01. These have the lovely white paper surface, just like the substrate I used which allowed me to sponge paint directly on the surface with a piece of Cut'N'Dry foam.
I edged the shapes with a finger dauber using Wendy Vecchi's Potting Soil Archival ink pad.
At this point, I laid the tulip head on my background and realised that it was far too orange and needed to be toned down a little bit so I sponged some of the Chartreuse on it. It's not a dramatic change in colour but it definitely softened the tone.
I wanted to make a dimensional tulip, so I die cut some heavy weight Smoothy card using my
Tulip die set. I only die cut the two smaller sections as the chipboard shape is the same as the largest die. Once they were painted with a base colour, I used Jet Black Archival to stamp images from ELB08. I then used a small amount of Chutney Fresco to add some interest to the edges of the coin design.
I thought I was ready to assemble everything together but my background was definitely lacking something so I took one of Jo's new minis JM33 and stamped a row across the bottom of my background. Claret is still one of my favourite colours and as it is such a warm colour, I chose this to paint the flowers, it works beautifully with my Limited Edition colours. I used Tinned Peas for the grass.
The Final touches...yay!! I stamped some script on the stem of my tulip using Mini 61 and the "Every Flower" quote from ELB06 on some painted smoothy card. I love this stamp as I can cut it up and re-arrange it in any format to suit the space available.
I thought it would be quite nice to make this project into a hanging piece so a couple of eyelets and a piece of ribbon was all that was need.
This piece feels very spring like to me, I hope it inspires you to try it yourself.
A huge thank you to Lin from all at PaperArtsy HQ, it is such a treat to have you joining us on the blog this evening. We are thrilled to have you create this stunning piece for us, full of vibrancy. Genius idea to use washi tape strips as the background. The grey/white board is an excellent base for Fresco paints, the colours applied are always bright and true.
If you would like to join in our weekly challenge with any of this week's guests who have blogged since Sunday night, then join in to link up your creativity HERE. You will go in the draw to win PA stamps of your choice! You need to link your entry by17:00 (London time) Sunday 27th April 2014.