2019 Topic 3: Mail Art
Hi everyone, it's Keren with you today, and I'd like to share with you a little Fresco Finish Chalk Acrylic experimentation on fabric. I wanted to create a fabric envelope and try out a few things with paint.
I had the lovely stamps from Emma Godfrey to focus on, and although I like the envelope, I preferred the process rather than the final result (translated to; I don't really love the project, but learnt a tonne!!)
I began with some mercerised cotton which is just beautiful for stamping on and used these two sets from Emma Godfrey: EM21 and EEG26
I loved painting with a dry brush using these paints: Cherry Red, Captain Peacock, Haystack and Green Patina.
Once I'd painted in the triangles, I tried a spray- just adding in water to the Green Patina as I wanted a slightly softer effect. I heat set them at each stage. The paint spray was a little uncontrollable and I wished I'd actually hand flicked with a paintbrush. I loved the hand image- perfect for pointing out the address and also the signposts which were a lovely addition too. I added some stitching and French Knots plus some gel pen (as it's not getting washed!).
The 'tiles' are gorgeous and I wanted to accentuate the reverse of the envelope with them and have the hand coming over from behind.
I kept the reverse fairly plain as the front being so busy completely freaked me out!
I would have loved to have stamped and coloured the inside, but time got the better of me, so I settled for a matching fabric. The template was just another envelope that I opened up, traced and added a 1/4" seam allowance.
The multi stamped envelope which took me a fraction of the time is definitely my preferred one. Just goes to show- time and labour don't always produce the result that you want!
I learned so much doing this piece and am thankful for the chance to play. I want to explore more with paint and fabric but was really pleased with the way that the Fresco Finish paints work so well with fabric. Next time I'll add splatters by hand and do the splatters first so I've got a better idea of the way it looks before cluttering it up with the rest!