" I was recently looking through some old photographs and I spotted one of a doorway which sparked the idea for this project".
I cut the arches from thick cardboard using a Sizzix die.
I cut one of the arches into two and then used a brick stencil with Grunge Paste onto the 2 'doors'. When it was dry I used Stone Fresco Finish Paint and painted all 3 pieces.
Then I went around the edges with French Roast adding a little more to where I want the door handles to be.
I made an extra panel for the back as I decided to double up the centre panel to give it some strength.
I then painted the inside of the doors with a mixture of French Roast and Mud Splat. When the paint was dry I then added a layer of Crackle Glaze.
I used Bora Bora for the top coat as I wanted the crackles to be dark showing through the lighter colour on top. The thicker you apply the paint, the larger the cracks will be.
I sanded the doors a little to make them look shabby, and then stamped them both using a stamp from:
I then used a Diamond Stencil on the centre panel with Moccha Mousse, when it was dry I moved the stencil slightly and used French Roast over the top. I didn’t bother too much about the centre as I knew it would be covered.
I then cut a small piece of white cotton fabric and stamped the image from the Lynne PerrellaCollection 005 using Black Archival Ink. I re-inked my ink pad before stamping the image to make sure I got a really good image. A tip that I was given at one of Lin Brown’s workshops is not to remove your stamp too quickly when stamping on to fabric. By leaving the stamp in place a little longer the ink sinks in to the fabric. I then heat set it and painted it using Limelight, Beach Hut, Inky Pool and Claret.
For the face I used Vintage Lace with a little Butternut mixed in. I then frayed the fabric around all of the edges.
I’ve used French Roast around the edges with lots of water. I wanted a dark colour so that it would stand out against the paler background of the arch. I had my heat tool to hand so that if the colour started to seep too far I could dry it quickly.
I then cut four hinges from Grunge Paper using the Hardware 1 die.
I wanted to use these metal embellishments but I didn’t want them to be silver. So, I used Florentine Treasure Gold to change the colour of them.
I glued the hinges to the doors and the back of the middle panel. The brads have been painted with LittleBlack Dress and I’ve snipped off the legs and stuck them in place on the hinges. The little door handles are Tim Holtz embellishments which I’ve also snipped the legs off.
This is what it looks like from the rear.